Posting Date: Dec 2021
We are currently seeking a Research Technician to join our Soft Red Winter Wheat research and development team in Hamel, IL. As a Research Technician, you will provide operational and mechanical support regarding wheat product development. You will be involved in all phases of maintenance, planning, growing, phenotyping, harvesting and processing of research materials to meet pre-commercial product advancement, nursery pollination and data quality goals. Adoption and implementation of evolving technologies and methodologies that enhance and improve wheat product development & research processes will be required. Previous experience with agricultural equipment and maintenance programs is preferred.
Essential duties and Responsibilities:
- Promote safety in all shop, field, greenhouse, and lab duties.
- Operate and maintain research equipment to collect high quality data
- Fabricate innovative solutions to enhance daily operations.
- Willingness to learn and adapt new skills to advance research and development goals
- Work extended hours and weekends during peak seasons (June through October) to ensure timely delivery of research goals.
- Regional travel to plot locations that may include overnight stays.
- Work with trialing manager to ensure data standards are met and reported in a timely manner.
- Lead seasonal employees in the field to maintain purity standards and produce high quality seed.
- Record phenotypic notes and record off types for advancing populations
- Process seed according to appropriate quality standards.
- Maintain seed identity throughout the entire pipeline.
- Update inventory and coldroom storage as needed.
- Lead seasonal employees through processing and packaging activities
Position Qualifications and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture related field preferred, Associates degree + 2 yrs experience, or 5 years of experience in an agricultural or maintenance position.
- Knowledge of equipment and maintenance.
- Knowledge of plant breeding and genetics.
- 2 yrs. relevant experience preferred
- Farm equipment maintenance/operation
- Field Crop Research
- University breeding/research program
- Mastery of Excel/spreadsheets
- MS Office Applications
- Experience with data analysis software
- Ability to learn precision agriculture software (GPS Support, Drone support)
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to learn agricultural research equipment and maintenance.
- Welding experience
- Ability to lift 50lbs. repeatedly throughout workday
- Ability to work independently and focus to meet deadlines.
- Ability to collaborate with team to improve efficiency and quality
- Ability to work outdoors for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to work around wheat pollen and dust.
- Ability to obtain CDL and DOT Medical Card within 3 months of hiring
- Ability to obtain appropriate pesticide licenses for all relevant categories within 3 months of hiring
- Willingness to obtain FAA part 107 license to fly drones
Department: Product Development
Location: Hamel, IL
Position Type: Full Time, Salary
Manager: Station Manager
Grow Pro Genetics, LLC will provide equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, pregnancy, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, military status, protected veteran status or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. Grow Pro is committed to ensuring that diversity and inclusion are a part of our everyday business.
By submitting an application, you are certifying that your answers are true and accurate and that any information found to be false can result in your employment being terminated.